Sedation dentistry can be the perfect treatment for patients who experience dental anxiety or fear. Dr. Karim Naguib and the professional team at Premier Dental Care want patients to feel welcome and relaxed during their office visit. Dr. Naguib works with patients on an individual basis to determine the best way to address their oral health needs. He discusses medical history, past dental care experiences and goals before treatment.
Sedation Treatment Options
There are multiple sedation dentistry options for patients depending on whether they want to be asleep or conscious during their dental procedure:
- IV Sedation: IV sedation is administered into your bloodstream through an IV. This type of sedation takes effect immediately so the patient can rest comfortably during their procedure.
- Oral Sedation: Oral sedation is administered in a pill form several hours before a scheduled procedure. Patients will feel completely relaxed but will remain alert and responsive during treatment.
Patients will require a companion to drive them home from their dental procedure as IV and oral sedation can take several hours to wear off fully.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry can offer many benefits to patients who want to feel relaxed during treatment. Sedation dentistry:
- Can provide pain-free dental care
- Can provide anxiety-relief
- Allows dentists to work faster
- Reduces the gag reflex
- Can cause anterograde amnesia (the patient doesn’t remember the surgery)
Sedation dentistry can also benefit patients with the following conditions:
- Patients with dental fear or anxiety
- Those with a poor gag reflex
- Patients with a low tolerance for pain
- Those who need multiple dental treatments in one visit
- Patients with disabilities or movement disorder
- Special needs patients
- Those who have a phobia of needles, blood, or loud noises
If you have any of these conditions, call our Lancaster office at (661) 948-6700 or our Palmdale office at (661) 273-6565.
Sedation Dentistry FAQs
How long does dental sedation take to wear off?
After receiving oral sedation, patients may feel “out of it” for up to 24 hours post procedure. For that time period after your procedure it is recommended that patients sleep it off and take it easy to give their body time to rest and rejuvenate.
Will I feel any pain with dental sedation?
Under dental sedation patients should not feel any pain. Dentists typically combine sedation and anesthetic to make patients’ dental experience as pain-free and comfortable as possible.
What should I do before dental sedation?
Prior to dental sedation you may be instructed not to eat anything 12 or 6 hours prior to your procedure. If you are instructed to do this then you are not to eat anything, not even drinks. 2 hours prior to your procedure you can drink water, but that is all.
Request a Dental Exam Today
Receive comfortable treatment at Premier Dental Care today. Call our dentists in Lancaster, CA at (661) 948-6700 or schedule a dental visit to our Lancaster dentist office online. Call our dentists in Palmdale, CA at (661) 273-6565 or schedule a visit to our Palmdale dentist office online. Dr. Naguib and his team aim to provide a warm and friendly environment to patients.